Throughout the human body are secret Marma points that are used for healing. Marma translates from Sanskrit as “secret, hidden, or mystical”. These sacred points are like switches, when gently stimulated, bring divine energy directly into our bodies. This divine energy, or Prana, is the life force which sustains us, which keeps us alive.
Prana must constantly be flowing through our Nadis, or energy channels/meridians. When this prana becomes stuck due to toxins, emotional stress, poor diet, lack of sleep, age, etcetera, our health suffers and we become ill. Marma points are located along these Nadis, so that when they are activated, they clear any stagnation of prana, and immediately bring healing to that organ or that part of the body. Marmas literally are control points, where prana can enter and be directed.
Physically, marma point locations are where tendons, bones, muscles, joints, veins, nerves, and other tissues meet anatomically. Energetically, marmas are extremely subtle points where the physical and divine energetic realms intersect in the human body. They are where vata, pitta and kapha doshas come together. There are 107 marma points that are most commonly used, # 108 being the flow of prana throughout the circuit.
Similar healing modalities such as acupuncture, acupressure, reflexology, and polarity therapy most likely have their origins in the ancient science of Ayurveda. The famous Ayurvedic doctor, Sushruta, mapped out the location of these vital points thousands of years ago in his texts on surgery. He emphasized the extreme sensitivity of these points that hold our prana, and said that the marmas should never be cut during surgery. Knowledge of marma points was used by the Kalari, Indian martial art masters. They studied which marma points could inflict pain or even death to their opponents. On the other hand, they also knew which marmas, when pressed correctly, could quickly heal their own injuries.
Marmas are used therapeutically in Ayurveda to bring in a shift of consciousness in the cells. Marma work has the ability to heal us at a physical, emotional, and spiritual level. Dr. Vasant Lad says that massaging the marma points “activates the body’s inner pharmacy, changing the biochemistry, and can unfold radical, alchemical change in one’s makeup.”
Marma therapy can include the following techniques to stimulate or pacify.
• Herbal Pastes –example: applying “Arjuna” paste or cream on the heart or “Hrid” marmas.
• Essential Oils –example: anointing ”Sthapani” or 3rd eye marma with sandalwood oil. Clearing lung and respiratory marmas with eucalyptus.
• Mantra Recitation – chanting the Goddess mantra “ Om Aim Hrim Klim Chamundaye Vichhe” to bring in Shakti healing for reproductive tissues.
• Vibration – sounding a tuning fork over stagnated thyroid marmas to stimulate slow metabolism.
• Crystals & Gemstones – placing these energy conductors on marmas to amplify prana coming in. Especially good for directing life force into the “Adhipathi” or crown marma.
• Color & Light – example: directing blue light over an aggravated liver marma.
To experience a Marma Therapy session or an Ayurvedic consultation, please contact:
Authentic Ayurveda of Sedona